Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Had a leak and Hercules Boiler Liquid worked

Options
I know that a steam boiler leak usually spells curtains for an old boiler but thought others might want to know my experience with Hercules Boiler Liquid (stop-leak). My Weil McLain EG-75 was installed in 1995 but someone probably added cold make-up water too fast at some point (before I came along) as the last boiler section on the input side is cracked. This happened in 2007 or so and an older plumber "repaired" it with a few quarts of boiler stop-leak--the homeowner was too cheap to junk the boiler. So that repair lasted until now, March of 2014! This month the unit started losing water so regularly that we had to add a little water daily or even twice a day to keep it firing. I finally realized that it wasn't a low-water cutoff issue but a leak--the crack only weeped water when the boiler fired so there was no telltale puddle on the floor. I have put two more quarts of Hercules Boiler Liquid in through the pressure relief tapping and Voila! no more leak. I know, I know....I'm living on borrowed time. But, hey, ya gotta love a product that works as advertised.
Slant/Fin TR-40 w Carlin EZ-Gas burner. 3" riser into 3" drop header. Two 2.5" mains: 43' and 25' serving 11 radiators w/ EDR of 585. 3200 sq ft 1850s Greek Revival house in Concord NH - 7478 avg degree days.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Glad it's working for you

I would use this time to plan out exactly what your going to replace it with. Your a lot better off planning a warm weather replacement then having to do it some night when the bottom is falling out of the thermometer.

Find a good installer and have him install the right sized boiler per the manufacturers piping diagram (at a minimum).

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge