Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam radiators without bleeders for hot water system

Options
I have a burnham freedom modcon boiler with cast iron radiators. I like interesting radiators and have converted a few steam plumbed radiators to hot water. Some of more interesting radiators are steam only, and I read one of Dan's older articles in which he said, if patient, the air eliminator (spirotherm in my case) would remove the air after a few months. Has anyone here done this, and if so, do they have any pointers? I would drill out the plug and bushing from the inlet and outlet, install new bushings and put a bleeder in where the steam vent was.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
    Options
    back up....

You can use all radiators for steam but not all rads for hot water. If your radiators sections are not all connected at the top you cant use them for hot water. On a hot water system the vents go at the top of the end section... on steam it goes mid section.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Ok the thing is you should not use them for water

Can you use them? Maybe is the honest answer. Each section would need to be drilled and tapped for an air vent, also the operating pressure and dead weight of water sitting on the legs is exponentially higher as water is much denser then steam. If you are handy and willing to risk the flood and the possiblity of killing one of these rare steam only radiators you can try, I have seen it done and seen it work. I would not do it or do i for a customer as the risk out weighs the gain. Remember those radiators are 100 years old and have been subjected to lots of corrosive stuff including carbonic acid and oxygen.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • CB73
    CB73 Posts: 6
    Options
    Clarifying the question

I am aware that the method of converting a steam only radiator would be to install bleeders in every section. I am willing to take the risk of a leak during the conversion process but don't want to tap the sections, potentially damaging an antique radiator and making it less aesthetically pleasing, but I would be willing to wait several months for air to be removed by the air eliminator.
  • Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    Options
    In my opinion

In my opinion, if you don't tap every section and vent each one I think using it is a terrible idea.

The heat you will get out of them will be nil compared to being full of water. To wait months for them to possibly bleed out with water is a very, very poor installation design.
  • CB73
    CB73 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for the info..

Per everyone's advice I'll abandon any idea of running a steam only radiator without bleeders.