Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pulsating steam vapor

I was in a boiler room the other day that uses steam converters in the boiler room with hydronic distribution to the heating loads. I checked temperatures on the F&T trap beneath the heat exchanger and suspected that it had failed, but I wasn't confident until I noticed steam from the condensate tank vent was pulsing, about one cycle per second.

I am familiar with the parts inside of the trap, but having trouble envisioning what is causing the pulsation. Is this due to some mechanical issue within the trap, or could it be related to fluid flow in the condensate line and tank? There was no evidence of water hammer, at least not that I could tell.

I have attached a photo of the trap, and one of the vent. You can see the steam coming off the vent, but you will have to trust me that it was pulsating. The boiler is 350 BHP.

Comments

• Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 645
    Can you hear

the float bobbing up and down inside the trap?  You may need to use a stethescope type tool to hear the float and linkage movement.

If yes, it's possible with each float bob, the temperature of the condensate that's discharged could flash back into steam and cause the pulsing steam you see. 

Not a trap expert, but sounds logical if the temperature is high enough.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.