Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dans Reading List

tls_10
tls_10 Member Posts: 5
So, is it me or is the link to Dan's Reading List gone? With winter dragging on and on and on.... i figured I’d better start another book or two and Dan's list was always a good place to start. But where'd it go.....?
richtherocket

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    It's gone.

We're in the process of rebuilding the whole site and the list didn't fit with the new plan. Thanks for missing it.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Wethead7
    Wethead7 Member Posts: 170
    Reading list

Dan I miss it also. I did not visit often but found it a place to start. Thank you for all the great things you do for industry. Your writing and Ideas have made great improvements on many things.
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks!

You got my day started right.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Let's use this post as a short term reading list

I read mostly history and biographies. Just finished "The Patriarch" by David Nasaw. It is the biography of Joseph P Kennedy, JFK & RFK's father. Excellent history
  • DanHolohan
    I loved that book.

So many layers to that saga. A great read. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Pughie1
    Pughie1 Member Posts: 135
    Reading list

Dan,

The best book I got from your "list" was "The Sultana Tragedy" by Jerry O Potter. I've read it twice & let a lot of my friends borrow it. If you like Steam & the civil war this is a great book!

John Pughe
  • DanHolohan
    Agree

An amazing book
    Retired and loving it.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Sultana Tragedy

An update aired tonight http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/civil-war-sabotage/

The whole show is interesting.  The final 15 minutes helped me to frame American political corruption in perspective.
  • DanHolohan
    That was a good program.

They did a good job of demonstrating what went on inside the boilers to cause the explosion. Mark Twain talks about his in Life on the Mississippi. Often, when sharply steering around debris in the river, a captain would tip the steamboat and cause an explosion when the water came back to level.

You're right about the ending. Had Lincoln lived, it looks like he would have been facing some serious questions. We know from Team of Rivals that he knew how to play political hardball. It's a shame some of that ended with this tragedy.
    Retired and loving it.