Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing stuck Main Vents on the dry returns

Options
I'm trying to replace the main vents on the 2 dry returns as I think 1 is completely clogged as it's rusted over left from previous owner and the other is undersized Vent-Rite #33.

I'll attach pictures but both vents look to be attached to a reducing T at the end of the return with a 3/4" hex bushing a nipple and a coupler that eventually attaches to a 1/4" male vent-rite #33.

I have purchased 2 3/4" Gorton #1's and some 3/4" black pipe and elbows with hopes of getting that hex bushing out (very wishful thinking/naive) and raising the new vents away from the T.

I've tried briefly to move the hex bushing without any luck. Should I bother spending more time on it or give up and try and just get the vent out and build off that 1/4" opening?

Anybody ever get these hex bushings out without breaking the fitting?

I've read several doses of PB Blaster and maybe heating the fitting with a torch? Does this work ever?

Any recommendations?

PS. It's possible my measurements could be off since I'm pretty much guessing on everything except I know the return pipe is 1" and it's being reduced at the T. I also know the Vent-Rite #33 is a 1/4" male. Maybe it's a 1/2" bushing not 3/4".

Thanks
Western Mass Steam Homeowner

Comments

• conversiontime
    conversiontime Member Posts: 87
    edited March 2014
    Options
    pb blast, then breaker bar

Use a 2-3' pipe or similar extended breaker bar over a large adjustable wrench and they should move. I would have to check my gorton 2 but thought I had to use a 3/4 to 1/2 reducer to fit them to returns.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Removing old bushings

After using PB blaster or Kroil, use an open end wrench for a good fit. Apply pressure to it, while whacking the wrench with a hammer. This should get that bushing out. An impact wrench might work as well, if you have the clearance needed.--NBC
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    Breaker bar

with a 6 point socket could be a good choice as well.  Breaker bars are strong and take and extension pipe nicely.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • moneypitfeeder
    moneypitfeeder Member Posts: 249
    Options
    I'm not a big girl....

But I am determined! I used (to remove my old end of main vents) soaking in wd-40 'cause I didn't have any pb blaster- for a day or so, an then torching the heck out of the fitting, and then a pipe wrench with a cheater bar slide on to the end of the wrench to make things move. Plus a ladder.. I can't reach half the pipes without one in my basement. It really can be mind over matter with those old fittings.  All else fails, sawzaw the thing off, and chisel out the remaining bits from the threads you want to use to put a new vent or vent-tree into.  You'll get it! Or learn to tap and thread a new spot! Good Luck!
    steam newbie