Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for Homeowner Using Old Coal Furnace

Options
MB1
MB1 Member Posts: 2
I'm looking for homeowner(s) who use coal furnaces to heat their homes...using coal. This is for a possible story.

Comments

• heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Options
    I use coal

Being a heating contactor I have a fairly efficient heating system in my home, the problem is it is Propane, I am in the middle of geo thermal renovations so this year I have used nothing but coal.

A little back ground, my home is under 6 years old 4300 sq feet, ceilings are 10-24" tall, 3 hydro air units, 175K BTU prestige boiler {LP}, Rinnai ru98 heats my domestic water, a twin burner furnace is installed in line with my first floors duct work, then piped into the other duct systems with booster fans and zone controls...

So when my coal stove is hot, my boiler will not run at all, if my coal stove goes cold or my thermostat times out {meaning it takes too long for the coal to heat my space, has never happened to date} .my propane boiler will start.

My coal furnace is fully automatic {almost} it has a hopper like a pellet stove, except it holds 250+ #'s of coal, so depending on the weather I can go around 5-8 days with out touching it... My furnace has 2 burners I have had both lit since the middle of january but for the most part in a normal year {this year is cold} one burner will take care of my house for 80% of the heating season, this year it was the opposite...

Anyway, if I used propane this year I would have spent over $5000 to heat my home with coal I have used $1200 so far, and should get through the year for under $1500, not bad for a 4K+ sq ft house with windows and glass doors everywhere, plus the high ceilings don't help...

I sell coal stoves and I have installed many this year, they have come a long way, the units are efficient {stack temps under 200 degrees with a power venter} and most par for them selves in the first heating season, I know mine paid for itself in 4 months, and I hope to get 30 years out of it...