Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can license and hours transfer to MA?

Hi all, first time user here, 10+ year licensed HVAC/Boiler mechanic from Colorado going to move to Massachusetts this June, but looking at the state website it only mentions MA hours, nothing about transfer of license/hours and testing from there. Our family has researched a lot and want to raise our family in MA, but not if I have to start over in my beloved career. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

P. Wrench


  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Massachusetts Licenses:

    No matter what, you will probably have to take a test.

    If you are a licensed plumber in CO, you need to talk to the State Board of Examiners of Plumbers and Gas Fitters. They decide. If you are a plumber, you are allowed to do gas work as a plumber.

    On the boiler and heating end, there is a Journeymen's/Master Pipefitters license. For boilers over 400,00 BTU's. you will probably need to take a test. Having an advanced boiler rating class license helps. There is a new "Sheet Metal Workers" license now. You will need to take a test and probably some classes. It is supposed to be quite restrictive over who and what can be done. Its new and being worked out.

    Its more than "they just want your money". They want qualified and quality mechanics.

    You need to talk to the different boards. Look on the Massachusetts web sites for the above listed trades.

    A lot depends on the State you now live in and what their license requirements are. I am a tested and licensed Massachusetts Journeyman/Master Plumber with all current CEU's for over 40 years and a Master Plumber for 39 years. In Florida, they don't license anyone unless they want to go in business. Then, they have to take tests and put up a large insurance bond. If I just wanted to work for a plumber, I'm not considered any more valuable to an employer than a 3 year apprentice. Except that they can pay them less.

    I have a friend who came from New Jersey. He applied, he had to take classes and take a Journeyman Plumber's test which he passed.

    If you only do HVAC, there is no real license except the new Sheet Metal Workers license. Other than you needing the EPA certification to buy Freon.

    You can install all the under 400,000 hydronic boilers you want. If you are experienced and only want to work for someone else in the HVAC trade, the door is wide open. Contact the Massachusetts PHCC. They can also help you.

    Hope this helps.
  • PipeWrench747
    PipeWrench747 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Icesailor

    That sounds very agreeable. Of course a test is in order, I was worried of having to hold just an apprentice card before I could test thousands of hours later. Thank you for your help sir.

    I want to carry the pipe fitter, sheet metal, and refrigeration licenses.

    I am a licensed plumber here now, residential, but doing service only it takes twice the time to get hours. If I had my Journeyman license today, MA wouldn't care for another three years.

    I may not even need them to do residential heating and boilers, but I will have them. It is important to me to be certified as a professional and carry the card. Hats off to you sir, 40 years as a professional.

    Thank you again
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Transferred acts of kindness:

    Treat them with respect and they usually return in kind.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,738
    Movin to Massachusetts

    Jeremy , I thought you would be out there already .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,046
    Move to MA

    I moved to MA in '85 and we moved back west in '11. Both the kids are out here. I have nothing but good things to say about our time in MA and New England. Public schools in our experience were excellent. We lived in Westborough. It is a big move for you, but a great place to live. Ice has laid out the format. They do have requirements, but they are fair. You just have to go through the process. Good luck!