Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tekmar Second Stage Heating Problem

Options
2»

Comments

• Lognut
    Lognut Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Weird

That is correct 100 act vs 79 targ.

I just checked it again during a heat cycle. Amb =28, floor=85, Mix1 act=120. Mix1 targ=112, Boil act=126, Boil targ=126. As soon as the boil act hit the target, the boiler started ramping down.

The injection pump was running wide open during the entire heat cycle - in fact, I've yet to see it not running wide open. Is there any way to test Mix1 control?
  • Lognut
    Options
    Floor Temp

I have a floor temp sensor temporarily taped to the floor and insulated. I also have an accurate electronic thermometer next to it and it is reading actual floor surface temp. When I install it permanently from below the floor, I'll have to check again to see how close it is reading to actual surface temp and adjust as necessary. 
  • Eastman
    Eastman Member Posts: 927
    Options
    test button

Take a look at the manual. Page 13, Testing the Control. You might also try setting a lower mix 1 max temporarily. One would hope that it would obey that limit and throttle back the pump.
  • Lognut
    Options
    New Thermostat Ordered

I ordered a new 553 thermostat today along with a Tekmar floor sensor. I will install them as soon as they arrive and post again. Thanks for your professional advice. I really appreciate the help. I can't imagine what a homeowner (who was not as closely involved with the design and installation as I was) does to resolve these kind of control issues.
  • Lognut
    Options
    553 Arrived!

The 553 thermostat arrived and has been installed to replace the 543. Using both the W minimum run time and the W temp differential, I am able to get the second stage heat to operate as I want.

I also permanently installed the floor temp sensor from under the floor by drilling a hole through the subfloor and up into the hardwood. A little silicon caulk holds it in place. The 553 reads the same temp as my Fieldpiece placed on top of the floor so all is good.

I'll have to keep an eye on the Mix1 actual temps vs target to make sure it is not overshooting. Thanks for the help!