Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Company took the meter

Options
Feb 5 2014

Yesterday, Keokuk Iowa, I  had a no heat call from a landlord living in Tacoma Washington whom owns 50 propertys about a home he just inspected 2 weeks ago with no heat.(He has a lady manager whom is fairly good with people and day to day work. (But not the mechanics of the rental business) A very warm cast iron radiator hot water boiler system now 100% destroyed from the ravages of cold weather here in the Midwest + a gas company w/o a brain. I figures taking the meter caused at least $30K in damage to the 2 story home + ruined a perfectly good cadilac heating system, never to be replaced.

Got a couple of questions for you my friendly wallers as follows:

#1. can you buy cast iron radiators anymore for hot water or steam?

#2-Can you run aquapex to baseboard radiation? My only hope to keep the cost down to get another boiler system in there.

#3-I have anti freeze in my home + some of the other residential systems I have installed + service. The last one I just put in 5 gallons of the product. What is the formula as to how much to add and how  do you measure the strength of the antifreeze mixture? (Give that to me in layman terms, cause I cant read the device that is used + cant think of the name of what it is called for the moment.

Going to be dipping to -12 degrees F tonite actual. We haven't been this cold since the early 80's. What happened to Global Warming, Al?

thanks for the help bob borders west point iowa 319-795-0822

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Dude where's my gas meter?

Can you explain how the gas co would have removed the meter? Was the service on when they did this? Perhaps there was a payment problem, even though it is probably illegal for them to remove the source of heat.

As far as replacement radiators go, look at the Burnham website, and you will find some of their rads. Others may be available as well.--NBC
  • M Lane
    M Lane Member Posts: 123
    edited February 2014
    Options
    This title/post

system with this site needs to go. Titles for every post?

Anyway,

Don't use Aquapex, use HePex. You need a oxygen barrier.

I have a couple outlets for used radiators here in Denver, should be one where you live.

Anti-freeze is propylene glycol (food grade). We use a device called a refractometer to measure how much you have in the system. It, and glycol, is expensive. Do not add until you know you have fixed every leak and will not need to purge the system using water pressure. You can still purge with a pump and buckets, but its a pain in the ****.

The refractometer has a graph in its sight that relates to degrees of protection; but as a rule of thumb we use 30% glycol is good to about -10F
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Title for every post?

There is nothing wrong with titles as long as they are not abused.

The title should not be a first sentence, but a description of the content, like a chapter heading, and short/concise!

Do search here for Hmmm.., and you will see many posts apparently on the subject of I don't know.--NBC