Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydro seperator

Paul S_3
Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
Can anyone explain the benefits on using the caleffi hydro seperator.... Over usinga standard setup... Or Just how youguys liked it.....Tomorrow I will be using one on a peerless purefire condensing boiler install. ...Thanks Paul S
ASM Mechanical Company
Located in Staten Island NY
Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
347-692-4777
ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
ASMHVACNYC.COM
https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company

Comments

• Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,524
    edited February 2014
    more than one..

It acts as a separation between the boiler and system flow thus allowing the boiler to have proper flow conditions no matter what happens in the heat emission side..

it also allows debris and air to settle out....

If you was using a boiler that accepts a low loos header "signal" ( like the big V), than the boiler will take the temperature reading and modulate base on it and the OD temp.

I have been using 30 gallon "Hydro separators" also called Buffer tanks..

Makes my systems purr like a kitten.... And keeps system component from premature failure...
  • Hydro separater&Buffer tank

Derheatmeister, can you please elaborate on the benefit of the buffer tank, maybe with some description of the buffer tank piping? It must be part of the primary-secondary loop, I presume.--NBC
  • Derheatmeister
    I will explain tomorrow

sorry...Having problems posting..not sure why.
  • Derheatmeister
    edited February 2014
    LLH on steroids..

Imagine a very Large Low Loss Header...Or a tank with 4 connections..

The benefits are as the following:

1. As with a LLH it Separates the Boiler and system flow conditions...this allows proper flow conditions for the Boiler without restrictions..

2. Due to the Fluid "Changing Speed" as it enters a larger Vessel it allows the Air/Micro Bubbles to separate from the fluid..

3. Due to the above mentioned in # 2 it also allows solids to separate out which can be drained out on a annual inspection..

4. When properly sized it gives the Boiler a "Break" which is better for fuel economy.

5. Due to the above mentioned "Analog Anti short cycle Feature" it keeps system components i.e. Draft inducers/Circulating Pumps/ Switching Relays/Gas valves from premature Failure...

6. If the Boiler supports a LLH / Supply Sensor it can be installed in this Location..

7. When None oxygen barrier tubing is preexisting it also acts somewhat as a guard against oxygenated Fluid entering the Boiler...

For these reasons some manufactures are integrating buffer Tanks as a package into the boiler/ water heater design..

For all of the above mentioned benefits i am a big supporter of Buffer Tanks..

Richard.