Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil to Gas Conversion on HB Smith

Smithy
Smithy Member Posts: 7
Have a 30 year old HB Smith steam boiler in very good condition/ 5 sections BB14. Gas is coming to town and thinking of putting in a Carlin EZ Gas Pro conversion burner (replacing an oil fired Carlin). A competent local tech priced it out (and knows steam). Wondering if this is smart, it's a low cost option for conversion. Have a one-pipe steam system which I LOVE, plus pellet stove, Lopi and Rinnai for area heating. (I'm a multiple redundancy guy.)

Other option is a new Weil-Mclain steam boiler for about five times the price, whole new system, but keep steam and radiators. (I admire steam as a lost art form and think Dan Holohan's books are terrific!)

Comments

• vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Post in StrictlySteam.

Try posting under the Strictlysteam section. There are a few lively threads on this very topic. Jow old is your boiler, btw and what is you edr?
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    BB14

I always liked the BB14 it's a "large size" boiler. If it's in otherwise good condition there is no reason not to convert it. What efficiency are you getting on oil?

I think that boiler has a wet pak combustion chamber or blanket. I would replace that along with the conversion.
  • Smithy
    HB

The combustion chamber was replaced last season. I'll add that to my list, however.

My steam guy, who sized the system and counted the radiator sections appears to know steam (and has read Holohan).
  • Smithy
    HB

It's 30 years, but has been maintained by a previous owner who was so a-retentive that he painted the basement floor (rare in Maine...). My tech was impressed that it was in such good shape, but it IS an HBSmith, those gods of the cast iron boiler industry.

Tx for the response