Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Singing diverter-tee system

Options
hws
hws Member Posts: 43
A customer sent me this audio file. Her heating system has been making a ringing sound when in operation. I went to investigate the sound but it did not show itself while I was there, hence the recording.

System in question is a diverter-tee/monoflow system, 1.25" main, Grundfos 15-42 circulator on return, steel expansion tank. Single zone with cast-iron radiation above and below the main. All radiators are bled and somewhat in balance.

On the recording, the noise can be heard faintly at 9 seconds and again at 15 and 28 seconds. At 19 seconds the burner can be heard.

I haven't heard a sound like this before, anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• hws
    Options
    file did not attatch

Looks like the file did not attach.

The sound in question is like a faint ringing. High pitched but not a squeal, more like a fog horn but high pitched. It is "constant and consistent, not intermittent" according to the customer, and is heard when the system is running.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,533
    Options
    noise

try and determine if the noise is when the circulator is running? when the burner is running? or both.

Rattling pipe hangers, vibration from pump transmitting through system?
  • hws
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I've visited the house

I was there to investigate the sound, but it did not appear while I was onsite!

That is the most frustrating part. System seems to be operating properly. There are no vibrations that I could see/hear. Circulator is operating properly. Customer says that it happens while the system is running
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Are you sure its not the gas flex connector...

I have had situations where it was the flexible gas connector that was whistling on a NG appliance. It caused this harmonic whistle to go all through the house. You could hear it in their gas fired fire place as well as the hydronic radiant floors. And it too was intermittent. Could also be a bearing going bad in a circulator.

If it is a converted steam system, some traps whistle where the steam trap orifice was located. Frank Wilsey pointed out to me once that it is hard to stop a Trane…

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hws
    Options
    Mark

The burner is oil-fired, Mark. It is fed by a copper line, coiled to absorb vibration. It is louder upstairs than in the boiler room, so I don't see it being a burner issue.

Your description was right on the money though, it is very much a "harmonic whistle".