Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Risers

Options
Pughie1
Pughie1 Member Posts: 135
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what your guys take on using one riser instead of two. The job I am looking at has just one riser in use even though the boiler in question has provisions for an additional riser. In the manufacturers instructions they say that for this model one riser is acceptable. I've run the velocity calculations and it does fall within acceptable guidelines (Lost Art charts). However, just because its OK doesn't mean you HAVE to do it that way. I've always been of the belief  that "if they give you two - USE UM"!. I just feel it gives you a More even distribution of the steam as it leaves the boiler. Years ago we were loosing the section opposite the riser (on this model by the way) on some installations. In the "Lost Art" Dan describes what I thing was going on. Just my 2 cents.

John Pughe

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Risers

I always double a 2" riser. If it's 3", on smaller models, I'll only use one. As long as the velocities are within acceptable limits and the pressure is very low (ounces), we've had no problems with it. We just make sure to always use the riser on the same side as the gauge glass. The extra riser opening is a great place for a Vaporstat.
  • Pughie1
    Pughie1 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Risers

Thanks for replying, Glad to get your opinion.

John