Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gauge Glass - Odd filmy movement

Options
I've read that the glass above the water line should be dry. I've heard that PH could be an issue. In my glass I see a film of something going up most of the glass and then a small amount moving down at same time during a run of the boiler. Please explain again what might be happening and how to cure this. The water line doesn't move very much, but it moves fast and on occasion a surge will come over the glass in limited amounts. The water level is about half way up and just over the LWC probe. I have tried on and off to skim it accumulating several hours of time. Thanks.

Comments

• Boiler Talk
    Boiler Talk Member Posts: 136
    Options
    Where do you buy a kit to examine the Ph?

A plumbing store?  I haven't a clue.
  • Boiler Talk
    Options
    Do you need a video to see what I'm talking about?

I had no replies and 36 views.  Yes, the stuff on the side of the sight glass goes up and a small portion is going down?  True.  I don't think it is an illusion.  
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    Boil it

Draw a little water off the boiler into a pan and boil it on the stove, if it acts differently than boiling water usually does it probably has oils in it. When skimming you want to draw the water off at just a trickle, it should take hours to fill a 5 gallon bucket.

I bought PH test strips at Amazon, you need the range from 6-12 so don't buy the ones that go from 1-14.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,723
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Skimming

This is a video of what skimming is.  This is the fastest you should skim, running the water slower is best and the slower the better.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150591529896253&l=629707585283452060

You add water to the boiler slowly with the skim port open.  Hot skimming is best, where you let the burner heat the water and shut the burner off just before it starts boiling.

Remember, the slower the better.

You should also clean out the gauge glass to get any oily stuff out of it each time.  You may have to skim many gallons multiple times to get the water clean.  I skimmed around 20 gallons around 6 times over a period of many months and then finally used a wand to clean the boiler.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    Pool store

...or just the poll section of Walmart, etc.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    cleaning gauge glass...

How does one clean the gauge glass? Do I have to take it apart? (I hope not. I just put it together.)
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Bottom

There is a valve on the bottom you open with a wrench to drain it. If it's full of yuck what I've found works is to close the bottom cock and leave the top open while producing steam. Then open the drain on the bottom and you steam clean the gauge glass.

Of course you'll need a bucket under it to catch the liquid / oil and it will be HOT.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Boiler Talk
    Options
    Pool Store

Thanks.  Much of maintaining a home and other equipment is enough to make me loose patience.  Sorry.  I will make a trip to a local store I know of and see if they have the 6-12 type you mention.  Your video is helpful.  With my past attempts I did the skimming even slower.  I don't suppose there is an optimum flow?  Thanks for your help.  I'll try boiling it also.  
  • ChrisJ
    edited February 2014
    Options
    boiling

Try not to boil it. When you boil it stirs everything up.

The idea is to get it as hot as you can, without risking much movement in the water. As far as optimum flow I just think the slower the better.

The good news is once you get it clean things become much easier. I found using a wand made a huge difference. You can find info on this here, scroll about half way down and you'll see pictures of a wand. : http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/143078/Rinsing-the-boiler