Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LWCO SafeGuard problem

Options
xcinek
xcinek Member Posts: 14
Here is my problem hope someone can help.

I have a

Burnham IN8

Safguard Model 450

VXT-120

Pressure Set to Cut In 1.5 PSI

Cut out 1.0 PSI

Here is my problem.

When my burner runs for a longer period of time the Safguard does not shut off the system but the secondary cutoff kills the system and it doesn't turn on until i rest it.

I have cleaned the probe. I did the test and the the Safguard 450 works but looks like not all the time.

The settings on it I have wait 2 minutes and add 2 gallons of water in case of low water condition.

Any reason or how to check that the Safguard is in good working order.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    The real problem

Your system seems to be returning water very slowly, causing a plunging waterline, and triggering the LWCO. It should be able to run more or less indefinitely without showing any appreciable drop. How long does it take for the water level to come back to normal?--NBC
  • xcinek
    Options

yea but the should the first low water cut off cut out the system and not the 2nd one kill the system. then add water if it senses low water level ?

My return lines are old I will replace them this year but have to wait till summer.

Once I add adequate water level the system will run for a week or 2 and the once the water goes lower right but Low water level then it happens.

Well my system has been runun more then usual since NY had very cold past 2 weeks.
  • xcinek
    Options

I have done near boiler piping from 2 inch to 4 inch lowered my pressure so the system runs much smoother not to much water bouncing.

but still now the low water cut off

this is 2 year old boiler give me such a head ache
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    Where is the water going?

I think the real question is where is the water going, if the level drops that much in a week or two to trip it at all? I'm sure clogged returns aren't helping the situation, but then you'd always see this problem. Since it goes away for a couple of weeks when you addwater, it may be a leak.

I have know idea why the secondary probe works as the trigger.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF