Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baseboard Installation from floor

Options
WoNHUSA
WoNHUSA Member Posts: 34
Installing some Slant Fin hydronic baseboard and am wondering how far from the floor it should be installed? The flooring will definitely be replaced in the future but not sure with what...should I install it "on" the floor and then just raise it up when the new hardwood floor is put in? What about dealing with carpet? Again, install on floor and then adjust, or install it above, not touching, the carpet. The baseboards will be connect to the system with Pex, so the tubing will allow some flexibility. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Finish floor thickness

If you know it add an 1/8" for hard wood, and 1/4" for carpet to overall finish floor thickness.

This will allow flooring to go under baseboard.

Do it now and save moving it again.

If you have not made up your mind, and have the slack then move it when you decide to install the flooring.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    My two cents

Follow Gordy's instructions on height. If you can, wait to install the baseboard until after the flooring. Those carpet kickers will do a number on your enclosures, and you will then know precisely what you finished floor is. Don't just leave the covers off until flooring is installed either, the element will then get bashed up.

JMHP,

Rob
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    A better solution:

Here's a better solution if you are going to use carpet.

Put 3/4" painted strips on the floor and mount the baseboard on it. Make the strips 5" longer that the installed baseboard to allow for end caps. Each cap will be 2 1/2". (2.5"). You can also install the baseboards by this same method. In other words, it you are planning on a 6' piece of Slant-Fin (72") add 5" and make the strip 2" X 77". Whether you put the baseboard on first or later, the carpet guys will love and hate you. Because they can't smash your baseboard and make it look like crap, and they will love you because they can put their carpet strips down and knee kick the carpets to it. If you want heat while you work, you can have heat and have the carpets installed later. I've done it this way for as long as I have been in business. It comes from the old Burnham Cast Iron Baseboard where you HAD to do this. If you didn't, the carpet installers push the carpet into the bottom slot and stop the convective airflow. The strip should be at least 1/2" wider than the baseboard profile. Making the strip the 5" wider for the end caps makes a really neat and professional like installation.