Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

taco geothermal valve electrical burning smell

Options
wsmith99
wsmith99 Member Posts: 1
have a waterfurnace open loop geothermal (6gpm) with the taco 5101-G2 (orange) control valve.  just installed a brand new valve 3 weeks ago.  Ran fine until last night when I was awakened to an electrical burning smell in the house.  Traced back to this valve where the housing of the valve was very hot to the touch.   Valve was open and supplying water to geothermal which was also running without any warning or obvious issues.  I turned everything off and put on the backup heat.  The taco valve closed as expected.   Any ideas what is wrong with this valve?  the electrical burning smell was very strong and traveled throughout the house.

Comments

• Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 707
    Options
    Taco geothermal 5101

Sorry to hear about the problem you’re having with the zone valve.  whenever you hear about a burn smell it could never be good.  You mentioned replacing the entire valve, so I'm sure you do not want to hear about replacement parts, but there is a rebuild kit for the valve seat assembly, and replacement actuator available for the geothermal valve. Part number for valve seat assembly 5101-002rp Part number for the actuator is 555-173rp. 

The burning smell emanating from the valve actuator could have been travelling in the house through the return ductwork exasperating the situation. 

Ground source service valves are particularly prone to sediment collection in the lower portion of the valve body.  The most common cause of actuator failure is the valve body fills up with sediment or something gets lodged in the spring, which inhibits piston movement in the actuator. Once the actuator piston movement is limited to the point the circulator switch does not disengage, the element will continues to heat which could result is a burning smell.  The actuator failure is a symptom or result of the valve condition. The cause could be an obstruction in the valve. 

Recommended steps of action:

*         Remove the actuator assembly from the valve.

*         Isolate the valve and reduce pressure to atmospheric.

*         Remove the valve top plate, seat assembly, and spring.

*         Clean out the lower portion of the valve using a wire brush.

*         Inspect the o-rings on the seat assy and, if still in good condition you can reinstall the spring and seat assembly. If not in good condition, you should replace the seat assembly.

*         Both actuator and seat assemblies are recommended spare parts

and are readily available.

Follow the procedures on the attached literature for disassembly and reassembly.

Again, this is the most common mode of actuator failure. Each system is unique and there could be other causes.

Not to zone in on one possible cause; not sure where you’re located, but it's been unusually cold in most of the country resulting in systems trying to keep up with demand.  The valve is powered all the time, and located next to the supply ductwork, it could be carrying an odor throughout the house. 

I attached instructions on simple valve maintenance, and a typical diagram of a water furnace system showing how the valve odor could be travelling throughout the home.

If you like you can contact me directly to discuss replacement under factory warranty.  Taco also has the latest and greatest Geo sentry valve.

http://www.taco-hvac.com/en/products/Geo-Sentry%26trade%3B%20Zone%20Valve/products.html?current_category=424[/size]

[size=12] [/size]

[size=12] [/size]

[size=12]Joe Mattiello[/size]
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • mokon87
    mokon87 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey Joe! If you don't mind, could you email me at mokon87@gmail.com

I have a few questions about my taco 5101 g2 geothermal valve. Please and thank you!

Brad McConaghy