Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

york residential hvac unit

Options
ralph957
ralph957 Member Posts: 5
I installed a hundred thousand btu unit a few months ago. Repeatedly the unit flashes error code 7 times and goes into lockout. I have changed glod rod and flame sensor. Any thoughts?

Comments

• delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    Model number

of your unit would be helpful. Does it light and then drop out? is this an intermittent failure or does it immediately lock out after attempting to light?
  • ralph957
    Options
    more

It is intermittent. After five failed ignites it goes into lockout. When customer resets unit, it works fine for a period of time.
  • ralph957
    Options
    model

This is model serial for unit
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    Gas Pressure

Check your gas pressures on both sides of the gas valve. Inlet pressure you'll want 7" W. C. Absolutely no less then 4.5" W. C. Turn on all other gas appliances in the house and have the furnace running while you check the pressure. If you are dropping to low in pressure it will result in the symptoms you are experiencing. Also make sure the manifold pressure is dialed in at 3.5" W. C.

These pressures are for Natural Gas.

Propane has different specs.

Check for loose wiring and make sure you can hear the gas valve operating.

Make sure you have adequate combustion air, AKA make up air. If you don't have enough oxygen for the flame it will start burning yellow and won't be as hot. It will also be sooty. If this is the situation, the flame sensor will drop the flame and shut off the gas valve. If this happens five times the control will go into lockout for one hour and give you 8 Red Flashes. 

If you get a lockout and have 7 Red Flashes, That is 3 failed attempts at ignition.

Most of this stuff is in the Installation manual. Read it!

Harvey
  • ralph957
    Options
    agreed

The problem is 7 flashes was what I told york. They do not have tech support so I do know I will not install these units again. I checked gas pressures and all seems to be fine. The problem is as well thst when it happens I am not there. I talked to an hvac tech and hesaid replace the control. I am out of ideas past that.

Figures i agree to run gas to a unit and now its my headache . Go plumbing!
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    Is it

running on propane or Natural Gas?

Also, these electronic diagnostics are far from perfect. They only see various switches and sensors. If a certain sensor is giving a wrong reading, that's the error code you will get. Here is where you have to ask yourself why. Why did that sensor get that reading? You have to think about it and see it in your head. Envision all the possible scenarios that could cause that sensor to get that reading. When you are working in the furnace room you may have the door to the space open. Try shutting it and make sure you still have enough make up air.

It is rarely the control's fault. Sometimes, but usually it is something else.

York is a good company with good products. They have a good support network for their dealers.

You can fix this thing if you try hard enough. Throwing parts at it is not the answer.

Harvey