Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

atmospheric steam boiler no heat

Options
Hello, I'm live in an apartment complex with about 24 large apts, probably 4 radiators per apt.  and theres a Weiland boiler from the 40s.  I'm very new to this type of system, one pipe steam.  First of all the McDonnell miller control was getting stuck and overfilling the boiler and then it would leak all over the burners of the right handed boiler.  Those burners are gone and we're looking for new ones.  Im sure that the system is under capacity now. but sometimes we get heat sometimes none.  The pressurtrol was set at 2.1psi and a subtractive differential of 2psi.  After reading the resources on here I changed that diff to well a lot lower.  the numbers stop at 2psi and then theres a gap before the diff will bottoms out and the spring get loose.  there are no model numbers that I can find on the pressuretrol, but it is a mercury switch.  Now the main riser goes up to the 3rd floor and then branches off from there.  The maintenance guy for this building doesn't come around much and doesn't know much about the system either.  The condensate lines are mostly buried, but some are exposed.  half the apt gets heat sometimes and the other half nothing.  the one radiator is water logged and the one further down the line is just cold and so is the riser.  I notice the heat is better when its warmer outside.  I leave the condensate drains open sometimes, it seems to help a little.  But really my question if the condensate pipes aren't pitched right, how and I'm suppose to get the water out?  and would vents on the 3rd floor help?  even if the boiler is under capacity couldn't it make 2psi of steam and "ride that wave" eventually. And does that setting for the pressuretrol seem ok? Its really French to me.  any help would be much appreciated.  Plus I really do plan on buying this book, but its freezing outside and I don't have time to learn a new "language"