Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Making a Convector Play Nice...Possible?

Options
I have a house full of one pipe cast iron radiators and one convector (about 3ft long) that is in an addition. The convector makes a bit of a racket as it heats. In addition to the expected noises of the fins expanding, it sounds like there may be some water hammer in the narrow pipes of the convector. How much pitch should there be on the convector? Currently it is vented with a Gorton 5 (run-out is about 12 ft. of 1 1/4 pipe) while the rest of the radiators in the house are vented with a mix of mostly 5's and 6's. Too much venting? I don't want to slow the heating of this room down too much (it's already about 2 degrees colder than the rest of the house).

Another problem I have is that this convector eats vents. They seem to fail open an squirt water out within one heating season. Any way to improve this situation? Perhaps building an antler inside the cabinet?

For background, I recently had my boiler re-piped and the mains and run-outs are insulated, excepting a few fitting here and there that I haven't gotten to yet. The boiler is a 5 section Dunkirk. The boiler never trips the pressuretrol (except when it was -15F with 40 mph winds). Pressure on my 3 PSI gauge rarely makes it up to 1 PSI.

As always, thank for the help.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Steam

Can you post pictures of the boiler piping? The piping to the convector from the main?
  • bml207
    bml207 Posts: 27
    Options
    Pictures

The convector run-out passes through what used to be the exterior wall of the house and then into a crawlspace under the addition. Sorry for the poor lighting.

The boiler was recently re-piped with a 3 inch drop header by Gerry Gill & Co. so should be good. I didn't think to take any photos before I started to insulate.