Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Radiator Does Not Get Hot

In a remodeled bathroom a new radiator was installed. It is a small new steam radiator from the Steam Radiator division of Runtal (see picture). It was installed with a steam value on the top (see picture). We have a 2 pipe steam system with a Burham boiler using natural gas. Here's what is happening: 1.) We hear hissing in the new radiator and a small amount of air exits the value depending on whether it is in the open or closed position 2.) Only twice this winter - when it was extremely cold and the heat was coming up strong -  that new radiator got really hot for an hour or so. We are wondering what to do. All of our other old radiators are functioning perfectly and none of them have a value like the one on the new radiator.  Thanks for your assistance.

Comments

• ChicagoCooperator
    ChicagoCooperator Member Posts: 363
    Air Vent

Why is there an air vent on a two pipe radiator? 
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    edited January 2014
    New rad

Have you had the contractor back who installed the new rad? They were hired to install it correctly. There should be no air vent, the pipe should not be copper. Post some pictures of your other rads that work. If your other rads are cart iron you might be disappointed with this new rad. It is steel and will heat and cool quickly. That looks to be a Steamview rad. Go to there web site and look at their installation guide and compare to your installation.
  • pete333
    pete333 Member Posts: 5
    Not Sure Why

The contractor who is now nowhere to be found (along with his plumber) installed this value. My understanding is that it is not needed and may be causing our problem.  
  • pete333
    Yes - It is a Steamview

Yes it is a steamview radiator. Checking the installation guide it is installed as one of the 2 alternate installation options. Since the contractor has not returned 5 months of phone calls or e-mails I am probably best served by contacting the state and filing a complaint. (This contractor initially mentioned that he was licensed by the state and encouraged us to check his record). In the meantime, would removing the value help the situation and is this something that a home owner can do? FYI - The bathroom is quite small and we are not looking for heat blasting from this radiator. The master bedroom is adjacent and is well heated by 2 large radiators. I took a picture of the small old radiator (see picture) which was removed and now sits in my basement.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Rad

1. It's sideways, but not sure if that's a huge deal, being two-pipe.

2. The air vent is not needed and will cause problems.

3. The pipes are copper which is a big mistake.

Can these items be fixed? Maybe #2 is the easiest. Just plug the vent. Is there a trap on the radiator somewhere?
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Old Rad

If you look at your picture on the bottom left there is a steam trap. This keeps the steam out of your returns. The new rad will need one. The new piping might not be pitched properly and there is water in the pipe that is not draining and blocking the steam. Where are you located? Try the find a contractor and see if a steam pro can make this work.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,014
    pitch

Do you hear any water hammer or gurgeling in the pipes?. I would suspect the pitch is wrong. The air vent shouldn't be their but that wouldn't keep  it from heating. Check the pipes if you can follow them to where they tie into the mains and see if they are hot. Check the pitch with a level. If they didn't put a trap on the rad you will need one. You could have a bad trap if they did put one in. If they didn't put one in you would probably have water hammer.
  • pete333
    Further Observations

Here's what I have found and figure. This radiator was installed as you would install a single pipe steam system with a vent and no air trap. You hear hissing in the radiator with air (not hot) coming through the vent. 2 Times over 4 months this radiator got hot during an extremely cold spell with the heat coming up extremely strong throughout the house. When that happened there was clanging in that radiator area. There has never been gurgling in this radiator. By the way, neither of the pipes connected to the radiator are getting hot. I'm going to hopefully find the contractor. At the same time I will contact our local steam radiator company who installed our furnace a number a number of years ago. I am guessing that the expert will determine that we need an air trap and the vent should be removed. Hopefully, the radiator can be detached and the air trap added without damage to the new bathroom. I am not planning on having this done until the warmer weather in Spring / Summer.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Orientation

I didn't see any pictures of that radiator installed sideways like that. Could someone post a link to a site that might show that?
  • ChicagoCooperator
    ChicagoCooperator Member Posts: 363
    Towel Bar Style Installation

Steamview shows that same orientation (on multiple models too) in the gallery on their website, but it's not in their literature/specs (at least the one's on their website).

http://steamradiators.com/cust-gallery.html

Looks like there's even a two-pipe with vent on their site, not good....