Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Connecting Kitchen Hood to Ductwork

gscott
gscott Member Posts: 1
I have one of those monster industrial looking kitchen hoods that I am installing for my wife and not sure what the best way is to connect the ductwork. I am venting directly out the back, and since it is on an outside wall, I decided to use an external blower.

The blower is mounted to the outside of the house and the 10" round connection is accessible inside where the hood is going to be mounted... good to go. It says in the manual to attach the duct to the blower with screws/tape. OK. Then it says to do the same with the hood... which is impossible since I can't get behind the hood to attach the duct once its on the wall.

The run is only about 6" total to reach from one fitting to the other, so I was thinking of using flex hosing and stretching it out a few inches to connect to the hood before I mount it. But I have read that you shouldn't use flex hosing with a kitchen vent because of fire hazard. However, maybe its ok since this is only 6"? Or possibly I can use rigid and use mastic to seal it without screws since again, only 6". Would that work?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Flex pipe

One its thinner, and two all the corrugations will trap grease. That's why it's not recommended.

You can't mount the duct to the hood, and then feed through the wall, and then mount the blower to the duct. Reverse order of directions?
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Or...

and I've done this, connect the length of 10" round that you need to the external fan and then feed it through the wall 1" further than the interior finished wall. Cut your 10" round opening in the back of the hood precisely where you need it and tab the 10" over and seal.
    Steve Minnich
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Drawing

Can you draw the layout on a piece of paper and scan it and post it? It sounds like you have elbows in the duct work but it's tough to picture exactly what you need done.

Rob
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Depending on brand/model number...

Can you disassemble the blower motor and wheel, mount the box that houses the motor, and reconnect the motor/wheel?

10" is a hood-a-saurus....must be at least 6 burners plus grill?

There was an error rendering this rich post.