Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ajax hand hole, what do you guys think?

M Lane
M Lane Member Posts: 123
Need to give them a quote. Local Ajax rep has the plate and gasket here in town. Simple drain, scrape and replace? Valves seem in good condition. Nightmare stories? I will tell them having to pull the main plate and replace the big gasket would be at much greater additional cost. But with it being winter don't want to create a fire drill where none exists.

Comments

• delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Worked on several of these

old ajax boilers. Have not replaced the seals on the hand hole though so can't say how intense the job will be. My advice would be depending on how badly it is leaking, to wait until summer just to be sure if all goes to hell. Given the rust stains, it looks like it has been leaking for a while so a couple more months will probably not make a difference.

As far as nightmare stories....I have plenty with these boilers but it was not so much the boiler as the lack of maintenance for twenty years previous to me working on them.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,072
    ajax

personally I would do as DElta said. If it's not leaking leave it till later ............you could open up a can of worms
  • M Lane
    M Lane Member Posts: 123
    That's what I thought.

The insurance inspector mentioned in his report that a stiffening ring may need to be applied. I am going to tell the client I will pick up the repair kit and leave it on site, but that we need to wait to the end of the season.

Thanks guys!