Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How Much Vibration In a -

ced48
ced48 Member Posts: 469
properly tuned and running Modcon fan? If I grab the plastic cover on my Loch, you can always feel some vibration, regardless of speed-normal?

Comments

• Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    vibration

some faint vibration is normal but I would check the blower for something in it.

It doesn't take much to cause an unbalance.
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    I agree

My experience has been that there is always some vibration. Just installed a WHN155 wall mount last week and there was noticeable vibration (more so on lower speeds) however the whole fan assembly is mounted on some very forgiving rubber mounts that allow the vibration to be dampened. If you are worried about it pull the fan and make sure it is spic and span, and if you clean it be gentle. As Steve said it does not take much (i.e. a slightly bent fin) to make it imbalanced.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    I'm wondering

if this is an artifact of the direct induction scheme Lochinvar chose for the WH?  Have never heard more than a muted whisper from the TT units based on the same HX.
  • ced48
    The Motor Is-

mounted on rubber, so I guess there is always going to be vibration, or why the rubber mounts. SWEI, are you saying a TT makes no whining noise at all when it modulates down from full fire? My little Lock whines here and there all the way down to ODR temp. The tech at Lochinvar says I may be able to adjust the gas valve to lower the noise level at some operating speeds, maybe, but won't this mess up another range?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    MCBA-based Prestige boilers

never whistled at me -- more of a whoosh or very slight rumble depending on the size and firing rate.  Their air intake feeds the cabinet and the inducer pulls from that, which deposits leaves and dirt at the bottom of the cabinet rather than clogging the intake screen.
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    To clarify

When I say vibration I mean that you can feel it if you put your hand on the plastic cover of the motor. I don't really hear it, I do hear the fan moving air though. The difference between the noise/vibration level of a TT and a loch is significant. Both are pretty quiet though. There is also a good deal more insulation in the TT cabinet as compared with the Loch (which has none, the insulation is wrapped around the HX itself). I think you are right SWEI, given that the fan is pretty much directly connected to the cabinet on the Loch through the air intake I could see it magnifying any vibrations present. If it is "whining" though you may have a resonance forming in the exhaust or air intake pipe at certain fan speeds. The solution is to change the effective length of the pipes. There is another thread I think where this is mentioned. I will try to find it if I can.
  • ced48
    Thanks Guys-

If you can find that thread, that would be great-I plan on dumping the concentric vent tomorrow, maybe this will help - Oh, the vibration is only in the plastic cover, no where else
  • ced48
    Replacing the Fan

fixed the problem-fan must have been made out balance-nice and quiet, vibration is just about gone-Lochinvar was very good about resolving this issue, many thanks to them-