Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why should I get a vaporstat?

mgmine
mgmine Member Posts: 58
I can't adjust the pressure on my pressuretrol, when I try to set it lower the screw simply falls out without shutting down a very hot boiler. After reading the posts ity seems like a vaporstat might be the way to go but why? Will it save me money in the long run? Also should I go with the one that regulates pressure in lbs (the 1009)or psi (the 1017)?

Comments

• EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,310
    The one that runs of oz

Higher pressure will mean higher fuel bills and inconsistent heat through the structure. steam systems especially 2 pipe need to run on oz since they are vacuum system which means you can generate steam at lower temperatures and real low pressures. One pipe can be ran on low pressure too.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,364
    A Vaporstat is much more reactive and sensitive.......

The adjustments are finer. Usually, however, it should be the ICING on the proverbial cake. The system should be properly main-vented and in very good working order BEFORE a vaporstat is added to fine tune it. If one is added, I ALWAYS recommend an ADDITIONAL pressure guage on its own piggie-tail be added that also reads in ounces, so it can be DIALED-IN to find that SWEET SPOT. Mad Dog
  • Dave_154
    Dave_154 Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2014
    Like They Said

Vaporstat is the last item to add, IMO. Skimmed, cleaned, properly vented mains/returns, cleaned-up rad vents, rads leveled, pressuretrol adjusted down as far as humanly possible...... After all of that is corrected, see if you even need a Vaporstat. I found that some of the radiators were still noisy, some gurgling, etc after JStar and team helped get everything else into shape. Added the Vaporstat a couple of weeks ago and other than initial expansion noises I find I have to go down to the basement to even know whether the boiler is running or not. :) Started at 12 oz/4 oz, now down to 8/2 and the rooms I want warm (bathrooms) are and the others are completely comfortable. 3 story house, 11 rads, 2 pipes capped over the years. Biggest benefit of lowering the pressure, My 3yo son is no longer scared of the radiators in the house. :)
  • kamruz
    kamruz Member Posts: 18
    Vent

Hi,

What size vent should I put on return line in the boiler room, for one pipe system, two story house, 8 radiators, 2" main pipe and 1" return pipe.

Thank you