Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Too Cold Upstairs!

I have a two-family and when I have lots of activity or guests downstairs, where the thermostat is, the second floor gets cold.  Other than opening door to the hall or outside to cool the first floor, what else can be done?  My system is properly balanced.  I have 3 Gorton 1's on each of my single piped steam branches.  Normally each unit is quite comfortable and equal in temperature.  Only when I have company do I have this problem. 

Comments

• Si_zim
    Si_zim Member Posts: 40
    Avg

You could just turn up the thermostat. But there are some thermostats which offer a remote indoor sensor which it will use to average the temperature in your house.

Chances are people downstairs will get warm though. You only have one zone to play with so it just depends on where you are measuring the temperature
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    BTU Per Hour/Person:

It goes to show that there is a heat generating property to human's.

If it's Steam and one zone, it will improve when the people leave. Other than opening the windows, it will be hot downstairs.
  • Boiler Talk
    Boiler Talk Member Posts: 136
    Continued - Too Cold Upstairs

Yeah, I had thought about relocating the T-Stat, but I like the idea of an averaging T-Stat.  Do you have any recommendations for such a device?  I have a two-family with a hallway that is always too cool.  It's hard to place a T-Stat in a two-family with one zone, but that's what I have to deal with for now.  Thanks. 
  • Si_zim
    Si_zim Member Posts: 40
    Avg

Unfort I think it's only the more expensive stats that do this. They will be programmable and probably have wifi and a lot of other bells and whistles you may not need.

Do a bit of a google search or check with a pro but I believe the Honeywell Prestige ones can use a wireless indoor sensor for averaging and I think some of the fancier Honeywell FocusPro ones can use a wired indoor sensor for averaging.

But for either you will be paying a premium if you don't want all the other functionality