Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Quick Main Venting Question

DFH
DFH Member Posts: 11
Found my Main Vents.  1 Pipe Steam System.  This is my first go around replacing/updating anything to do with the Main Vents.   Found two vents.  One obvious large main vent at the end of a Run furthest from the Boiler.   One right next to the boiler in a quirky set up that i'm unfamiliar.  Two questions.

1) what is this quirky set up accomplishing?

2)  do i just unscrew and replace with Gorton #1' (or 2's?) just like i would a normal Radiator Vent?

Thanks!

Comments

• DFH
    edited January 2014
    Obvious Main Vent furthest from the Boiler

I assume I unscrew and replace? I was thinking Gorton #1?
  • DFH
    Second Vent

This one is 3' from the Boiler itself.  a bit of a quirky set up.  Same drill? Just unscrew and replace with....? 
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Quirky setup indeed

What is that copper line doing, and from where does it come? It seems rather small in diameter to handle condensate and air.

I would certainly replace those vents with Gorton 2's just to be sure of quick venting, although the copper line may need to be reworked with a larger diameter steel pipe.--NBC
  • DFH
    copper pipe

an answer, and a question. 

First the answer:  The funky vent set up copper pipe seems to drain back into the Hot water pipe and/or Hot Water Feed that autfeeds into the Boiler Refill (depending on the cut in/out).

The Question: Why a Gorton #2 over a #1?  How would i distinguish which to choose?
  • ALIGA
    ALIGA Member Posts: 194
    gorton 1 or 2

put the biggest vent on the main you can, as you want the fastest release of air from the mains when the boiler kicks on.