Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best Heat Technology for old part of a house

NewHeat
NewHeat Member Posts: 1
My house has 2 heating systems, 1 radiant floor and 1 forced air. We have re-built most of the house and added radiant underfloor heat. A forced air furnace heats the old part of the house.

The forced air furnace just broke down and I'm trying to figure out what to do - replace the furnace or add new heating technology. The old part of the house will be pretty much closed down in 4-5 years when the kids leave and the walls are poorly insulated. My boiler is not big enough to extend the radiant into the old area. There is a slab between my basement and the old part of the house making it difficult to run anything to that part of the house.

I'm looking for some suggestions.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Heat loss

Have you used the SlantFin heat loss program to calculate the heat loss of both the new and old parts of the house? What is the capacity of the boiler? What fuel are you using?

You may be able to put in some hot water coils in the present ductwork, and use a smaller boiler to fire when the aggregate loop temperature drops too low. This would be an asymmetrical boiler system (thanks SWEI). Controls are the key to making this work,--NBC