Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam supply packing nut

Options
quack24
quack24 Member Posts: 74
Hi guys I was repacking a stem valve on a steam supply and I apparently tight end it down a little too much and the center of the nut broke off does anyone know where I can get a new (old ) nut from?

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    I might be able to help.

I've had terrible luck with radiator valves. I can never get spuds out of radiators or get the disks off to replace them, but for some reason I kept the packing nuts. If you can measure the stem diameter, inside diameter and thread pitch I'll see if any of mine will fit.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • quack24
    Options
    thanks

But I probably won't be able to measure it as its in an apartment that I do the repairs in for now I put the piece that broke off in the nut and replaced it so its holding for now but I figured if I can get a whole bunch of different sizes next time I get in that apartment I'll haveone that fits
  • quack24
    Options
    i am going to

Try and see if I can get any old ones for houses being demolished as a friend of mine does demolition I really wanted to find out if there is a place I can buy a couple of each size to have around
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Options
    A couple of each size would be a lot.

There are quite a few different sizes and styles of these. I don't know if it would be possible to get one of every size and shape.

But if you know someone who does demolition on houses with steam heat, you should try to get ahold of some radiators. Most people don't realize that there's a market for cast iron radiators and sell them for scrap.
  • quack24
    Options
    ill ask him

What he does with the radiators if I can get some some I'll post them here
  • quack24
    edited January 2014
    Options
    if i wanted to measure the

Size how would I? By the way I had very good luck cutting the spuds flush with the radiator and two or three cuts then knock the pieces out with a screw driver just be careful you don't over cut and ruin the threads
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Options
    Measuring

I'd use my digital calipers for the stem and ID and a thread pitch gauge for the threads.

I don't have trouble getting the spuds out. I just have trouble getting them out in one pice and usable condition. Most of the pros here can salvage them more often than not and it drives me crazy that I can't seem to do it.
  • quack24
    edited January 2014
    Options
    oh

Out of the dozen or so I tried I only got one out in usable condition and I don't have either the calipers or a thread gauge so I guess its another shopping trip to Amazon. Just curious if the hole for the stem is too small can it be drilled or put a washer if it is too big