Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

base ray vents

I have a question I was hoping to get some help with. I have a baseray ~ 10 feet in length previously installed on a 1 pipe system located in the room with thermostat on 1st floor. I know its not ideal but assuming I'm not switching to a 2 pipe system, what's the best way to vent this radiator. Larger/ smaller, type etc. Thanks


  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    One Pipe:

    Old Cast Iron Baseboard Systems were usually connected using Mono-Flow tees. The system is referred to as a "One Pipe System" where there is one main going from the supply of the boiler and back to the return, using special tees. The radiator/base-ray heater is connected on both ends to the main.

    Not to be confused with "One Pipe Steam" where it is doubtful that it would work with just one pipe of steam without pounding itself off the wall.

    Which do you have Forced hot water, or Steam.

    If it is Burnham "Base-Ray, there should be a vent tapping on the left front. If it isn't there, it should be on the inside top behind one of the covers. American Standard had them on the front or inside. Weil McLain had then on the left top.

    Post photos of the baseboard with the covers off and a photo of the boiler. It probably is already a 3-pipe Hydronic FHW system.
  • PaulWalnuts
    PaulWalnuts Member Posts: 3

    It's a steam system