Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Alternatives to fiberglass steam pipe insulation

I need to insulate my steam pipes in my basement. They originally were black iron, but most have gotten holes in them and been replaced by copper. Not only do they need to be covered to help my heating efficiency, but since the ceilings are so low in the basement, it it very easy to bump your head into a burning hot steam pipe.

I would like to use something than other fiberglass. Is there anything that is as good and that I can do myself?

Thanks!

Comments

• Why Not

Fiberglass? You can do that yourself. Copper piping on steam is a big no no though.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Katherine
    Katherine Member Posts: 4
    Alternatives to fiberglass??

Fiberglass doesn't like me...
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,107
    Fiberglass

I absolutely HATE fiberglass.

However I sucked up my hatred for it and just got it done.  I still have to finish the fitting covers but all of the piping and even some fittings are insulated. 

buyinsulationproducts.com is the only way to go.  Expect to blow $300-500 depending on how big your place is and go with 1" or thicker.   Most go with 1" and you will see why when you see the pricing.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Wear

A Hoodie, a Patriots Hoodie would be best, a dust mask and gloves. You can do the straight runs easily with very few cuts, which is the majority of the heat loss, and worry about the fittings later.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Katherine
    alternatives to fiberglass

I guess I'll try it if that's the best thing to use. I wish there was some kind of rubber material that could stand up to high heat...

Thanks all for the info
  • and goggles

In addition to the hoodie, a dust mask and gloves, don't forget the goggles. You don't want the fiberglass getting into your eyes.

Because the fiberglass insulation comes in 3-foot lengths, I found that having a yardstick handy made measuring and cutting easier than a measuring tape, which was too cumbersome. Also, found that a using a long kitchen bread knife was perfect for cutting the insulation rather than a utility knife.
  • steamedchicago
    steamedchicago Member Posts: 72
    hire someone?

You can always hire someone to install it for you.  And it's better than asbestos...
  • Boiler Talk
    Boiler Talk Member Posts: 136
    Cut the fiberglass outside

I'd start with the straight runs first. Measure want you need inside. You should plan to cut the insulation outside and open it while your at it. You get to shake some of the loose stuff off before reentering your basement. Loose stuff is dust from cutting and manufacturing. Best of luck. Your wallet will be better off.
  • Katherine
    Fiberglass

Thanks for the advice! This really helps.