Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

taking apart/reassembling radiator: old RED radiator goop?

Hey all, got a question that I don't see anywhere.

Had to take some radiators apart to get downstairs out of a house, going to another house.

Now my question.

Years ago I worked with a ancient aged old real-true boilermaker pressure pipe fitter, my first experience of putting a radiator back together.

He had a can of RED colored horrible stinking goop that was brushed onto each push nipple.

I remember that the can actually had a picture of a Boiler and a Radiator on it, and on many radiators that I've taken apart I have seen hardened RED gunk on/around the push nipples.

I've also seen residue of it on the thread connections on old boilers systems

Obviously, it's an old product, but cannot be too old since I first saw it only about 10 years ago.

I figure, it must work, and must work well to last so long, just don't know if anyone here knows where/if I can get this stuff.

Otherwise does anyone have an alternate product/goop to seal around push nipples?

Thanks

Comments

• Robert_H
    Robert_H Member Posts: 141
    Old Rad Dope!

The same stuff was on the rads I rebuilt this summer. on the new push nipples i used Pro-Dope and they all held 60psi for a few hours.  Although they will see hot water "finally" some time in the next week.
  • ScrewLoose
    ScrewLoose Member Posts: 20
    Well, some info...

I think the company  that made the product I once used is gone.

However I think I found what the general name for such a product s called.

Gasketing Cement.

Jointing Paste (or Compound)

I have found TWO products that apparently are similar and are used on radiators with great success.

Utility Wonder Products: Blue Seal Thread and Gasket Sealant.

STAG Jointing Paste - Type -B- RED (which is apparently unavailable for sale in the USA) but is the most similar to what the "old guys" would have had in their tool boxes.

Well, at least I can get the Blue Seal...
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Might be

an anaerobic thread sealant (think Loctite.)