Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco Zone Controller and Universal Timer Card? What is needed?

AJ9
AJ9 Member Posts: 1
I currently have a hydronic oil utica boiler/becket burner. Indirect superstor water heater running off the furnace (with its own circulator pump on that leg). I have 3 taco 571-2 zone valves and one circulator pump for heating the house. I want to upgrade to one of the Taco ZVC zone valve controls so that I can use the PC610 universal timer card to circulate my zones while heating 2 of the 3 zones with a wood stoves. That way I have freeze protection on those pipes as one zone and the water heater keeps the boiler warm.

1. Does the PC610 card plug right into the ZVC404-EXP Zone controller?

2. Since I have one circulator pump for all 3 heating zones and another circulator pump for the indirect water heater, do I need just the ZVC404-EXP? I do not need a Taco SR50X switching relay, is that correct?

3. How does the PC610 universal timer card work? Will it open all 3 zone valves at once and run the single heating circulator pump?

Thanks!

Comments

• Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 567
    ZVC-404-EXP-4

Taco has recently updated all of the zone controllers. In the past you were able to add in the PC-610. However, the new -4 controllers eliminated all of the add-on cards and instead added all the capability of the cards to the board themselves.

So to achieve what you need, you just need to make sure if you add the ZVC controller, wire in the zone valves and circulator.

Here are the options you have for cycling the ZV and circ

Pump Exercise Operation:When the dip switch is set to ON, the solid

state timer cycles all the zone valves and circulating pumps that are

attached to the Expandable Zone Valve Control at the selected time

interval. The time interval can be set for the valves and pumps to run

for either 30 seconds every 2 weeks or for 4 minutes every 24 hours.

Here is a link to the ZVC http://www.taco-hvac.com/en/products/Enhanced%20Zone%20Valve%20Controls/products.html?current_category=411#

Enjoy

Dave H.
    Dave H