Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

parts for old spirovent

i've got a 25 year old spirovent (it's a bit thicker and looks more like a barrel trap than the newer ones) that has succombed to corrosion of its operating internals, but could be easily rebuilt with a few replacement parts. but the spirotherm folks act like i'm on drugs if i expect them to have parts for something 25 years old. glad the folks who make steam traps don't feel that way.

i know that these older ones came from europe, but last i knew we have this thing called the internet  . . . and we we can keep in touch with european technology and repair parts.

does anyone know about parts availability from any sources besides spirotherm in the USA. If i had to, guess i could throw for a new top although but seems silly given there is nothing wrong with the brass. apparently the tops aren't particularly easy to service - that goes in the what were they thinking department? I still like them better.  tried various american alternatives that are easier to service except the seals at the top kept leaking and i couldn't make 'em stop.   i think those were sparcovents.  can't remember. they drove me nuts.

i'm afraid if i can find a top, it's cost might dwarf just buying a new one, but if it were the same price, couldn't complain, saves breaking the system (which is the reason i would have expected spirotherm to have this stuff or be able to direct me to some european sister effort that does.

anyone who has had luck locating parts and servicing these, would appreciate your help.

brian

Comments

• ya talking

Ya talking about the screen thingy?? Found one laying around and wasn't sure if I shud chuck it.. what size??
  • archibald tuttle
    archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,094
    edited January 2014
    that might do it although . . .

so the screen is shot.  it was still vaguely there but was clearly rusting and was full of corrosion from the system. obviously works as a corrosion strainer as well as air eliminator i guess - stainless is still a temporal matter.. so it didn't come out in one piece.  but the top was a mess as well and the vent at top corroded closed and unmovable and i when i was taking it apart (there is a 1/4" pipe thread on the receiver for that vent screw) found that this piece is also got a boss for a spring related to the float opening and closure and when i tried to blow the junk out that assembly went flying and can't be found -  i should have had a hand up to catch it.  i was just testing the the port was no longer jammer and didn't think of that operator as popping out as i thought it was attached to the float.

so i need a rebuild kit or a replacement top, or - come to think of it - I could use that new separator element you've got and put a 1/4" float vent on a brass street ell out the top of the unit.  that might be the economical choice.  i'm not there to measure the size of the cage bit.  my recall is it might have been around  2" in outside diameter.  i think it had a plastic core. But beggars won't be choosers. The spirovent is a 3/4" IPS ports.

thanks for chiming in.

brian
  • its yours

Its yours if ya want it... rathered see it recycled than garbage.. pm me ur address and whenu get it.. pay me the shipping.