Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

under cabinet heating

Options
al3
al3 Member Posts: 5
do you get any usable heat from in floor heat that gets covered by cabinets?

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Mixed answers

I would not count it as sf of radiant to satisfy the heat loss of the room. But it would not hurt anything especially a,cabinet run on an exterior wall with a sink base. Some times people keep potatoes, and onions in a base cabinet the extra warmth may promote quicker spoilage.

Others will say its a waste of tubing.

A direct answer is no do not count it to satisfy the load.
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 556
    Options
    Keep it close

Or even slightly under the cabinets. Don't keep the tube too far away from the cabinets because people stand nice and close and like Gordy said, a little under the cabinet where the plumbing is never hurts.

I have always taken the amount of cabinetry out of the square foot calculation of usable heat emitter. It will also lower the amount of tubing/plates/....needed for the project.

Now when it comes to bathrooms, try to get as much tube in there as possible, under tub decks, showers pans, shower walls. It is typically the only place of the house where you are wet and nekkid at the same time.

Dave H.
    Dave H
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    One more place

I can think of one other place where the wife and I are wet and nekkid, though we rely on friction for heat, not radiant :)
  • al3
    al3 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    under cabinet heating

Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking