Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler Leak / Crack - Replacement Really Needed?!?

Options
sys
sys Member Posts: 3
Hi,

I'm currently out of the country and rent my condo out - my tenants have recently complained about the inconsistency of the heating and that they've had to replace the water in the boiler very often (every 12 hours in the recent cold wave in Massachusetts). 

My boiler's a Burnham (I don't recall off-hand how old it is but at least 10+ years).  My usual repair company who I believe to generally be trustworthy is saying that the boiler is cracked at the top and are saying I need to replace the boiler.

Given I am out of the country and also a novice when it comes to DIY, would much appreciate advice on:

1) Does their view make sense (have attached the few photos I currently have)

2) If I do need to replace it, should I go with their suggested Utica boiler or go with a new Burnham or another brand?

Thanks very much!

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 2,002
    Options
    Utica

I wouldnt touch a Utica with a ten foot pole. They are side outlet boilers. Very problematic for steam. Might be good idea to get a second pair of eyes on this system. A leak anywhere in the system can cause the boiler to run out of water. Might not be the boiler. Have the tenant fill the boiler above the top and see if any water ends up on the floor.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    Might be toast

If the boiler has to be replaced have the boiler header done correctly this time. The existing header is too low (24" MINIMUM between normal water level and the bottom of the horizontal pipe). The takeoff to the steam main should be between the boiler outlet and equalizer, not stacked the way that boiler is. Following the suggested piping in the manual is the MINIMUM, you can always go over and above for best operation.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    What to do

If an over-filling of the boiler reveals a leak in the boiler, as opposed to a leak in the wet return piping, then any replacement boiler must be chosen based on the aggregate total of the radiation, EDR. Do not merely go off the capacity of the old boiler, as it may have been incorrectly sized 10+ years ago.

Make sure the new boiler is piped in accordance with the instructions from the manufacturer. Side outlets, like the Utica are even more fussy about piping, but not inherently worse. If there are 2 riser trappings, use them both into a drop header for dryer steam, and ease of installation. Follow the instructions for cleaning the boiler after a weeks initial use (skimming).--NBC
  • sys
    sys Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response - there is definitely water that is dripping onto the floor.  Actually have a few more pictures - not sure if this helps you get a better sense of the situation. 

Thanks again. 
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    Leaking nipple

If it is a leaking nipple, where it screws into the block, it may be repairable.--NBC
  • conversiontime
    conversiontime Member Posts: 87
    Options
    second opinion, get quotes

Since you likely are having to buy a new boiler at least see if you can find a steam pro to confirm the condition. That water looks might dirty so it could be a return that is old and needs fixing too. Ideally one removes the jacket and overfills to look for the leak.
  • Chris_L
    Chris_L Member Posts: 336
    Options
    Boiler age

Since I have the same boiler (in a millivolt configuration), I decided to check the age with Burnham based on the serial number.   Mine was manufactured in 1985 and yours in 1990.  Both are getting up there in age.

I can't speak to the differences between Burnham and Utica, but by this homeowner's observation, Burnham is much more popular in the Boston area.
  • do yourself a favor

As its worst time to replace the steam boiler now... some reserching for a REAL steam guys(gals) can happened.. meantimes as other said, stay away from Utica and Dunkirk (and their re badged boilers). Know enough about them from doing more than 30 years working with all brands of boilers.