Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

help me ID this convector

Options
I am trying to calculate EDR for my system, as I suspect that my boiler is oversized (I'm having a serious issue with rapid cycling -- one minute on, one minute off). I have copper fin-tube convectors, but I haven't been able to find numbers that seem accurate for my particular units. Pics are attached. The thing that I think is unique about these is that there are 4 copper tubes running in each unit, not 2 which I think is more common. They are arranged in two parallel sets of 2. The house was built in 1940. If anyone recognizes these, or can point me to a good reference, it would be much appreciated. Alternatively, is there some shorthand for calculating EDR from a convector that I can figure out with feet of tubing?

Thanks much.

Comments

• bradslees
    bradslees Member Posts: 34
    Options
    yeah

I think that might help as a starting point, but I'm not sure what to do about the two vs four pipes issue. Double the numbers? Ignore it? Seems like it could make a massive difference and I don't know which makes more sense...
  • thats copper conventor

Paul H was showing the cast iron... how wide, how deep and how long are the unit??
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited January 2014
    Options
    copper

They also show copper convectors on that site, but not 4-tube. I don't know whether it would just be doubled,or not. It could make a huge difference, as you said.If you were trying to match radiation to heat loss of a room, it would become critical.If you are trying to size for a new boiler, I don't think you would get into trouble if you doubled the 2 tube rating. This sites creator, Dan, has a book that lists all forms of radiation.