Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One Pipe Steam Radiator Valves

Options
We're on the 4th floor of an apartment building in NYC. We have two bedrooms, and in each bedroom there is a one pipe steam radiator.

Is it safe for us to turn the valves all the way off/closed if we don't want the heat? I've read about pipes freezing, but since there's always plenty of heat from below...that's not a big concern here. I've also read about water remaining in the unit after it's turned off, and spitting out when it's turned back on. If that's accurate, should we expect it to be more like a spray bottle or more like a sprinkler?

Finally, I've also read that the valves must be "open all the way" in order for them to work. I can tell you with certainty that ours operate even with just a slight turn. Respecting that "operate" and "work" are two different things...is it okay if we just turn it slightly instead of "all the way," providing we get the desired heating effect?

Thanks for any insight you can provide. I realize ours are not the best solutions (like a thermostat might be), but they're the easiest for us right now....as long as it's safe.

EDIT: I should also note, I'm a novice but am talking about the valve - not the vent. We were told by our super who was here recently to help reduce the heat (it was like a sauna several nights in a row too many), that we could simply point the vent up if we want more heat, or down if we want less. Since that visit, we've had no heat at all. However, also since that visit, that valve now moves to open and closed positions as easily as the other one always has. Alternatively, only one of the vents adjusts with ease. This is why my question focuses on the valves.

Again, I know valve on/off isn't the best solution...I just want to make sure it's not a dangerous one.

Lastly, I've read in several places that my super should be taking care of this and we should complain and demand a thermostat etc etc. If that's the ONLY fix, okay. But if that's just the most recommended fix, and we can in fact safely turn the valves on or off on our own, that's the route we'd like to go right now - and I'm coming to the experts for some honest insight.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    Too much heat

Rotate the vent for best results. Many steam valves will let a bit of steam in when closed, thus trapping the condensate, and causing water-hammer.

Someone should undo some deferred maintenance with this system, as it is probably wasting a lot of fuel.--NBC