Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Relocated radiator now water Gurgling

Options
OK I removed a wall Between my living room and a small bedroom to make a larger living room. I had to relocate the radiator since it was against the wall I was removing. The only Riser I could tap into was feeding a bathroom. Here are the details.

1. The riser went into an Elbow then about a 4ft pipe under the floor and up into a 3 section radiator.

2. Now The Elbow was removed and a T Was added. The 4 foot section still goes into the 3 section radiator but on the other side of the T is a nipple, a 45 and a short 6 Pipe then 45 (to allow water back into the Riser instead of just an non-pitched horizontal 6 in pipe that water would sit in before it came up through the floor into the radiator)

3. The radiator that was relocated to this Riser is an 8 section.

Issues .This Vertical riser is at the end of the Main in the basement. The relocated radiator wouldn't have time to heat up as the thermostat would cut off before it had time. I put a on larger Vent and turned the thermostat way up to make sure it would heat up. It did heat up but now Water is gurgling? Im not sure where its coming from and Yes the radiator is pitched slightly towards the Valve. Please look at my pic to get a visual here. <a href="http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk18/itzasean/f6b0c101-0bdf-4d07-a747-dac903a6aec7.jpg">http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk18/itzasean/f6b0c101-0bdf-4d07-a747-dac903a6aec7.jpg</a>   Any Ideas?

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Piping

1. Is the pipe big enough to handle two radiators?

2. It should not be piped that way, with the steam supply entering the bull of the tee.

Both errors will cause gurgling and lack of performance.
  • itzasean
    itzasean Member Posts: 71
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Re:

The Riser is the same size as the one it came off of. The one it came off of had two 8 fins. What do you mean about the Bull of the Tee? Sorry I lost ya :)
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Rad

What are the ratings of the radiators, in EDR or BTUH?

What is the size of the riser that they share?

What size goes to each radiator?

Pipe size is incredibly important. It is very rare that you can add a radiator to an existing riser and not cause a problem, as the riser is sized based on the original connected radiator only.

As for the tee. The supply side should never enter in to the bull of the tee. That means, if you look at the fitting as the letter T, the steam should never start from the bottom and split left and right.
  • itzasean
    itzasean Member Posts: 71
    Options
    Re: Tee on riser = bad

Thanks for all the info. The bad thing is the Riser I put the Tee on is now covered by new walls and floor. I am going to shut down the valve on the new large Radiator and just hope the other works fine like it has in the past. I have a fireplace and another Rad in that room so it is what it is.

I have another Question about the Tee. If you look at this pic you will see a Tee used at the very end of the Main in the Basement. One side shoots up to a riser and the bottom side is reduced for the wet return. Is that bad too? If so would you recommend me flipping the Tee and adding a short pipe to the Main with an elbow at the bottom to attach the wet return at the end?  Thanks