Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant Ceiling Heat

Options
mike111
mike111 Member Posts: 3
Hi, I have radiant ceiling heat which has worked well in some rooms but other rooms remain cold. I think it has to do with this unit. What is this called? I have turned the screws in every direction without change. Some rooms get really hot as well.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    You need a Pro:

That "thing" is called a manifold and those thermometers are to tell what the temperature in the individual loops are. The drain valve to the right is so you can purge the separate loops. Something that requires some understanding of what you are doing.

Is there anti-freeze in the system? It could be plugging up some circuits. DO NOT let anyone futz with the system that doesn't know what they are doing. There are other things about it. It should have blended water and some sort of a device to keep the water in the ceilings from going above 150 degrees. That is a Cadillac system. It looks like a top notch installation. Rooms shouldn't get too hot. When the system is working and properly balanced, the whole house may be one continuous temperature.

I have found ways to break up some systems with valves but everyone is different.

Where are you located?

Can you post a picture of the boiler and boiler room?
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Balance valves

Is what they are. Screw in line with piping is full open.

This is an old system those valves were adjusted properly at installation years ago. They should not need to be adjusted.

You probably have air in a particular loop that needs purged.

I have those very same valves in my ceiling radiant system. They do not have positive shut off ability only flow adjustment.

Some are installed as individuals on loops, and some are built into the manifolds.

Close up of valves and thermometers please, and what are the temp readings when loops are running if thermometers still function.
  • Gordy
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Individual bleeders

Is there individual bleeders that look like a petcock on a radiator for each loop on the return.

Or is your picture showing the only manifold for your system.

The bleeders would be on the return.
  • Gordy
    Options
    Pics

Here is some examples.

Bleeders I replace with 1/4 turn valves.
  • mike111
    Options
    few more pics

Well i messed with it and those screes just turn with no difference
  • mike111
    Options
    one more

• Gordy
    edited January 2014
    Options
    No worries

How many square feet is your house?

Where is the supply manifold?

I see 6 loops on the return manifold.

There should be a mixing valve to reduce the water temp to the ceiling panels where is it?

Adjustments need time to respond they will not be instantaneous.

I would invest in an infrared thermometer. Shoot some ceiling temps. You can even use it to find the piping in the ceiling.

I still think your air bound in a loop.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Dead pump?

I see the back end of a B&G series 100 pump showing on the back of the boiler. It might have busted a coupler or locked up a bearing.

With it being a ceiling radiant heating system it will still circulate by gravity, though not nearly as well as it would with a pump…

Also, those balance valve go from completely open to completely closed in 1/4 turn. They really don't begin choking flow until they are 3/4 to 7/8's closed. With the slot at the 2:30 position they are JUST beginning to choke, and at 3:00 (9;0 on other side) they are completely closed,or as closed as a butterfly valve can be. Slot parallel to pipe is wide open… Slot at right angle to pipe is completely closed (although they can not be used to completely close off flow like a globe or gate valve).

Have you hugged your pump today? Have you oiled it recently? Even though the motor may be running, if the spring clutch is shot, you've got no pump. Look closely.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Gordy
    Options
    Hmmmm

Mark is on to something I don't see a flo control valve. The lack of it would definitely promote gravity circulation.

I **** umed the circ was functional......or is it?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Big delta T

If the outgoing pipe is hot, and the return piping is significantly cooler, it is gravity circing…

CAREFULLY grab the pipes and see if that's the case.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.