Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Main Vent location question

Options
I have a single pipe steam system and notice some of the larger radiators that are at the end of the Mains arent heating up completely. I currently have one Main Vent thats at the end of the dry return on a Vertical pipe right before the boiler.

I wanted to know if I attached the vent at the beginning of the dry return as that would be a lot closer to the last run up to a radiator do you think that would help heat those radiators? ps I have tried changing the vents to larger ones on the radiators and nothing changed. Everything is pitched properly etc.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    Slow main venting

I don't think the change in location will speed things up as much as adding another, larger main vent, along with slower radiator vents.

If you had a low pressure gauge,(0-3 psi), you could see when you had enough main venting. My 55 rad system allows the air to escape at 2 ounces of back-pressure at the beginning of the firing cycle.--NBC
  • itzasean
    itzasean Member Posts: 71
    Options
    Gorton #1 or 2

My main Vent is a 3/4 usav-883 I want to replace with a Gorton. I read that the #2 is better then the #1. My question is the #1 has a 3/4 nipple but the #2 looks like a 1/2 nipple? Why the difference and wouldn't the smaller one be less effective? Also if it is better should i just reduce my pipe with a 3/4 x 1/2 coupling?