Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

buck2014

Options
I have a Burnham 1 pipe steam boiler and I have to fill it sometimes twice a day. My tenants Boiler can go weeks. What is causing this?

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    You have a leak somewhere.

Either the boiler or the wet return has a leak. You need to find it and fix it pronto. It's not good for a boiler to keep running low on water.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    Finding a boiler leak

See if you can remove the pressure relief valve on the boiler, and replace it with a vertical nipple a couple of feet long. Then over-fill the boiler to the top of the nipple, and look for leaks in the firebox and returns. Any leak will show up as a drop in water level in that nipple.

If there is a leak in the return piping, fix it pronto, or all the new water will cause an excellerated rusting out of the boiler.

If you detect a leak in the boiler, most likely it will need to be replaced, not necessarily by one of the same size. Measure the radiators in the system for their EDR, and find a boiler which comes close to that factor.

On a happy note, a new correctly sized and installed boiler may save you up to 50% on fuel use!--NBC