Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil tank gauge replace

derbyct Member Posts: 4
Being new to this, I pushed (as per my oil company recommendation) on the oil tank gauge bobbing thing - it dropped inside.

Is it a DIY to replace this? Could I replace the whole assembly? It seems to be integrated into the vent pipe. There is a third screwhead (besides fuel and vent pipe openings) - could I just unscrew it and install a new one there?

Any pointers appreciated.


  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited January 2014
    You did enough

    Call your oil company. If it's as you say you can't fix it. You may be able to use the spare hole. If you don't put it in right, you'll ruin it immediately. If it's not properly installed you may have a spill on your next fill up.

    And depending on local regulations, you may not be allowed to try to fix it.

    There was an error rendering this rich post.

  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385

    Steve is right. Unless the tank is totally empty, installing a gauge is best done by a pro, and I have even seen them twist them up like licorice.
  • russiand
    russiand Member Posts: 73
    If you are careful

    The gauge is usually part of the vent pipe or is in the middle tapping. As long as the whistle works and you make a reasonably good connection, you should be ok. It's a simple unscrew the old, screw back the new type job. If your tank is inside your and is in the vent you may have to start from the outside and unscrew all the pipe in reverse order. Ideally you can get the same exact size gauge and reuse all the old pipe. If not you may have to get some that fits the new config. But like others said if not sure might want to leave to pros...
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    As long as:

    As long as some are going to advise on how to do this,. try this.

    The Vent Alarm and Gauge is probably an OEM. It used a composite plastic float that was close to negative buoyancy. The float used to be made of cork. Cork became expensive.

    You can do it by disconnecting all the piping and buying a new vent alarm and gauge. Or, you can do what lazy people like myself do to keep the cost down. Unscrew one of the other plugs that aren't being used and buy a single gauge to fit. One kind, if the tank is not empty, and the gauge is going near the end of the tank, you have to hold the float up or you will destroy the gauge mechanism by twisting it up. Or, you can buy one that you screw in the base and the gauge drops in regardless how much fuel is in the tank. Both types have an arrow on some part and the arrow must face away from an obstruction. Like the end or side of the tank.  Don't cross thread the tank threads or you will need a new tank. Let a pro screw it up.

    I'd strongly suggest that you hire a Professional. But if you're bound and determined to do it yourself, that's basically how it is done.
  • derbyct
    derbyct Member Posts: 4
    Got it done

    Thanks guys. I had my plumber replace it - figured it wasnt worth messing around - the vent pipe is actually sealed into the wall going out, so there's no easy way to unscrew it. He was actually able to pull out the fallen gauge so it was a clean fix.