Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bell and Gossett 100 F59 Locked up?

Got a call from customer ... no heat. Went through regular stuff and everything is good except for the circulator isn't working. I took the motor off and the spring coupling was bungled up. The motor side spins freely but the impeller side does not budge. Assuming that it never got oiled and bearing seized. Does this sound right?

Also I won't be able to rebuild it right away so I plan on swapping it for a Taco 007 F5. Is this sufficient? Maybe without details of the system you can't say ...

Any suggestions I would be grateful for.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    B&G Series 100

curve is roughly equivalent to that of an 0010.  The 007 curve is lower, but works on perhaps 80% of the systems on which Series 100's were originally installed.

You can rebuild a Series 100 in about 15 minutes --parts are usually on the shelf.  Lube them once per season with the proper oil: ISO 68 (aka 20W) non-detergent aka "turbine oil"
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    pump

I believe the Taco 007 will outperform a B+G 100 series unless it is an HV 100 series.

The Grundfoss ups 15-58 would be an even better choice.

same rough cost as the B+G bearing assembly and just as easy to install.

Much better pump than the TACO or B+G
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    I belive

the 007 is a direct replacement for the BG100.  If your system piping is not .larger the 2" you will be fine. Since you have to get to the water side you might as well replace that BG with a wet rotor pump but the bearing assm is cheeper in most cases then a 007.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Outperform?

A bit more wire-to-water efficiency inside its operating envelope, yes.  Nothing like an ECM circ of course.

Armstrong parts cross, and usually cost less.  There are even 3rd party upgrades like the Spiralink.

IMO the Series 100 (and its next couple of larger cousins) could play a meaningful part in the hydronic future if someone fitted an EC motor to them.  Imagine the aftermarket opportunities.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,791
    free the shaft

sometimes a squirt of WD-40 then then proper oil will salvage them.

Upgrading to a wet rotor style pump allows for maintenance free operation.

That Series 100 was a low head, very flat curve circ, ideal for zone valved systems.

Spend the $$ and replace it with an ECM type if it matches the load.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • HexHighway
    HexHighway Member Posts: 6
    Replaced with 007

Thanks for the comments. I replaced the locked up BnG 100 with a Taco 007 and isolating flanges. Lots of trips up and down the stairs bleeding radiators, but things are working well. Thanks for the help.