Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wrong Carlin head positioning bar impact?

DJD775
DJD775 Member Posts: 254
This past summer I had a heating technician change the firing rate on my Crown TWZ150 with a Carlin burner from 1.50 gph to 0.90 gph and essentially turn it into a TWZ090. I just realized he changed the nozzle to the correct size but he did not replace the original head positioning bar, a 1.10-1.25 bar, with 0.75 bar.  The burner runs fine and I don't have any problems with the boiler.  What is the potential impact of having the wrong bar in there if the boiler is running fine?  Should I be concerned?

Dan

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    I would

Be more concerned with condensing in the flue. Since you went from about 214000 btu to 130000 btu.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Carlin Head Positioning Bars:

The head positioning bars change the static air pressure through the throttle ring which adds to control of air through the retention ring and stabilizes the flame retention. Each retention bar moves the head 1/8" forward or backward. If you had a complete set, and you lined them up, you would see how they graduate. You are at least two sizes off. You can get away from not using them because depending on which burner you have, there are marks there to use but you need the manual and you will need an analyzer, no matter what you do.

If the person that changed the nozzle and down-fired it, had had an analyzer, it would have shown that the efficiency went way down and you are actually wasting money because you don't have enough "nuts" firing into the boiler.

Just because the stack temperature goes down with the smaller nozzle doesn't mean it is more efficient if the CO goes up or you have a air-leaking boiler.

That's after a thorough cleaning where the front comes off, the chamber or what is in there comes out and you clean all the insulating debris out. Then, see what the stack temperature is and go from there.
  • DJD775
    DJD775 Member Posts: 254
    More Info

Here is a little more information about the stuation.  I had the tech come out to clean and change the nozzle since the boiler was grossly oversized for the house and based on a conversation with Crown boiler the only difference between the TWZ150 and TWZ090 was the nozzle size.  The tech cleaned the boiler, changed the nozzle, and checked the boiler with a combustion analyzer.  He said all of the numbers were within spec.