Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New homeowner needs help

Options
TAThomas
TAThomas Member Posts: 1
Hello everybody,

I am just 22 years old and don't know much of anything about boiler heating systems. I just bought a house with an old coal boiler which I believe was converted to gas. I have been told it was a steam system. As I have been searching online I can't figure out what kind of system mine is or what kind of radiators I have. It has two pipes coming up through the floor side-by-side on the bottom that consolidate into one that go into the radiator. I will attach some pictures that will hopefully help identify what I've gotten into. I would appreciate some knowledge on my situation! Thanks!

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Those look like

Honeywell Unique valves.  See p. 12 of http://www.heatinghelp.com/files/articles/1014/105.pdf and see if you can find something near the boiler that looks like the item on the preceding page. 
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    I Worked On A System Like That

In Arlington, Ma., it was forced hot water, and we came to the conclusion that it was similar to a mono-flow system, the system was still working great after many, many decades of use.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • M Lane
    M Lane Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Steam?

Usually the vents for steam radiators are more in the middle, not the top as shown. Also, we usually see a atmospheric vent on steam radiators (looks like a large bullet).

Go to the boiler and look for a sight glass (a glass tube that shows water level).

I'm leaning towards hot water, not steam.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Unique hot water system

I'm sure you have a hot water system. Pictures of the boiler, and it's piping would confirm or deny this.

There are some excellent books in the shop here which will give you the background information you need to keep your system running well at peak efficiency.

Key maintenance areas would be:

1.clean, well adjusted burner.

2.air bled out of the radiators.

3.thermostat installed correctly, with settings for hot water.

4.aquastat , and system pressure set correctly.

A hydronic tech can show you what you can do yourself in the way of routine maintenance.--NBC
This discussion has been closed.