Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Homeowner needs advice

Options
Hi, I know it is Xmas eve but we need some advice/info.

We have noticed that our Teledyne Laars boiler Model # D-JVS-125-C is making noises on this very cold day here in Winnipeg. When the thermostat calls for heat, sometimes there is a buzzing or rapid clicking sound coming from the boiler upon start-up. Sometimes it stops by itself. Sometimes if we turn the thermostat down and back up again the noise stops and then the boiler sounds normal. We have returned to the house, from being away and found that buzzing/clicking noise already going (who knows how long it has been going?) and with it we hear loud knocking, bubbling sounds in the pipes. It only happens intermittently. I cannot re-create it. So... I do not want to call somebody here, today, if it cannot be re-created. Please can you tell us what you think it might be?

Tks,

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Faulty aquastat not shutting off?

Best to turn that boiler off for the moment, and look at what temperature/pressure is showing on the gauge. It may be boiling due to the aquastat not cutting off the burner when the set temperature has been reached.--NBC
  • Brockworth
    Brockworth Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Photo of the Temp & pressure gauge

Hi …

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the delay… I had to find my phone to take a photo of the gauge.

Please see attached. It seems normal…?
  • Brockworth
    Options
    Is it possible that

Is it possible that the pump is not starting and then the water in the heat exchanger is boiling and bubbling?
  • Brockworth
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Faulty Aquastat

It happens upon start up. During the cycle and when the cycle is done there is no noise. And it shuts off silently.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Possible but doubtful...

When the copper fin tube boilers are fired without flow, they do what we in the industry call the "low mass dance". It makes your sphincter do the momba, and makes your feet want to run away from your body, all while your brain keeps chanting ****, ****…. And that doesn't stand for Wipe The Floor. The pressure gauge jumps ALL over the place, and the boiler literally jumps around vibrating. Unmistakeable.

But noises in general are not normal, so you might want to have a qualified technician give it a well boiler check and see if something is getting ready to cut loose. It does sound as though it could be a defective relay, or a defective ignition module who keeps trying for ignition.

Is it lit when it makes these sounds?

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Brockworth
    Options
    Possible but doubtful...

I have not yet been able to get downstairs by the time it stops. And I have not been able to re-create the problem at the thermostat. My wife and kids tell me they hear banging in the pipes at night but by the time they wake me up nothing is happening. Just a normal sounding heat cycle.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    By the way...

Your pressure looks high. Could be you have a bad expansion tank, and the relief valve pops off, and by the time you get down there has reset itself, or… Could be a LOT of things.

Water on the floor is not normal. (Just sayin')

I presume other than noise your comfort levels are all OK?

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Noises

The knocking may be a pipes rubbing on a framing member as it expands.The bubbling sound may mean air, and time to purge, but in your gauge picture, the pressure seems high.Purging without finding out why may cause the PRV to start discharging. Find out when the rest of the family, first started hearing the knocking. I usually find out everything that's wrong with the house "when the stove blows up", if you know what I mean?

The rapid clicking or buzzing is usually associated with a relay.The relay may be bad, or the transformer that provides the power for it, may be bad. 
  • Brockworth
    Options
    comfort level

Yes, so far comfort levels are OK. It was -28C (-18.4F) last night. No water on the floor.
  • Brockworth
    Options
    Noises

Thanks. I do know what you mean about a catastrophe. That is why I am worried.

But did not want to call anyone out on Christmas Eve.

It is not pipe movement, we are familiar with that sound.

Is the pressure high for a 3 story old house? It has to push up 4 floors.

It does sound like a Relay to me also.

Thanks.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Cold

It should probably be around 15 psi. Measure from regulator to highest point of radiation in feet, and multiply by .43.Then add 3 lbs to that.
  • Steamfitter66
    Steamfitter66 Member Posts: 117
    Options
    A couple of questions

Whats the psi rating thats stamped on your relief valve tag?

It could be a weak pump relay,transformer, or water logged expansion tank.
This discussion has been closed.