Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electrical box behind t-stat

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,731
What is the proper way to install a home thermostat. Just run the wire through a hole in the wall and screw the thermostat to the drywall / plaster. Or, to install an electrical box to mount the thermostat to?

I'm assuming electrical box is the way to go for a clean install but have no idea which is why I'm asking.

I'm running a new line tonight and figured I should clean things up while I'm at it. Right now its just a hole in the wall.

As always I appreciate your help!
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    If this is a low-voltage retrofit

Try an "old work" plaster ring.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Yep

Sorry, yeah its a 24V thermostat in my home.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,200
    Options
    include some extra conductors

even if the stat you have only needs two wires, use a 4 conductor so you have spares, or the ability to upgrade to an Ecobee or Nest some day.

On radiant jobs I would install a box with a flex condiut to the mechanical room. That allowed you to add a slab sensor, outdoor sensor, or just give you future options.

That inexpensive plastic flex condiut is perfect, t-stat wire slides into it easily.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Yep

That is actually the reason I'm running a new line. When I put the boiler in I used a 2 conductor. Now I'm ripping that out and running a 4 conductor so I can have a common.

Thank you all for responding.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    If you're pulling new wire

Throw in a run of CAT5e along with the thermostat wire.  Newer controls tend to like twisted pair (and you never know where this is going)...
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    cat5e

I wouldn't mind doing that.

However is there any hope for my steam boiler to have such a control in the near future? :)

I'd love an outdoor reset but it seems like all of the main companies couldn't care less for us steam guys.
This discussion has been closed.