Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Turbotorch questions

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,731
This may be a dumb question but what is the difference between the Swirl type tips I have and the "Sof-Flame" tips they sell? I assume the swirl tips are hotter, but then why bother buying the Sof-Flame ones?

The second question is what do most guys do with their tank wrench? I'm guessing just tie it to the tank with a piece of wire so it doesn't get lost?
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Turbo Torch Tips:

Turbo Torch or "Hard" tips have a greater ability to mix air with more gas. Both give you a "Bunsen Flame" but the "Soft Tip will be cooler depending on the tip. "Hard" tips are noisier and should be used with hearing protection. They also have a greater tendency to burn surrounding areas than a "Soft" tip.

As far as the handle/wrench for a "B" tank valve, Most use a #15 Rigid Copper Tube cutter. If you do or don't use the reamer in the handle, open it up and notice that there is a square hole in the blade that fits the tank valve. I always have a #15 in my tray. I can never keep track of a wrench. The only ones I have ever had were ones that I had given to me at Trade Shows. The cutter works better.

If you're dyslexic like I am, you will always put the cutter on backwards and have to flip the cutter off or on to operate it.

You know, you want to switch cords on a power tool when you are on a ladder, you unplug the drill and intend to plug the sawzall into the extension cord. You pull out the drill from the extension cord and throw the extension cord away. Andmeaning you have to get off the ladder to pick up the extension cord from the floor.
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    Options
    turbo

all I use are the turbo heads. I have many sizes and use the size that fits the job.

You are supposed to use the turbo heads at full fire only as turning them down will burn up the tip and destroy it. So use the small tip and run it wide open. The turbo heads get much hotter but have a much smaller flame length - SO you tend to burn up less stuff behind what you are working on.with the shorter flame.
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    edited December 2013
    Options
    B-Tank

Chris, where did you get that caddy for your b-tank? very cool, I always open the striker up and slide the key/wrench through the striker and close the striker
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    Retaining the wrench

Get some lacing cord and use that to tie the wrench to something. I've used it for years to tether chuck keys to drills, I swear that stuff is stronger than steel.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Tote

Hi Mike,

It's a TurboTorch TT-150 tote. If you Google it a bunch of places have them.

I bought this one from a welding supply online. I got tired of trying to lug the b-tank around and felt this would keep everything together.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Hot Tips:

The tips of Turbo Torches still get hot and can burn things. Like newly finished floors. Or the cardboard you have on the floor and it smokes the cardboard and sets off the smoke alarm and every one comes running.

Always a good idea before you hit the striker to check for smoke detectors nearby because total alarm systems can be very sensitive and if they are directly connected to a fire station, it is embarrassing when they go off and the guys with the funny hats and boots show up.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    icesailor

Icesailor its funny you say that.

The first time I started brazing I set the smoke alarms off.

Also, I have noticed how loud these tips are as well as temporary hearing loss after using it. I agree with ear protection.

Thank you all for responding. I appreciate it.
  • Steamfitter66
    Steamfitter66 Member Posts: 117
    Options
    dont worry it will become permanent

hearing loss after 20 or 30 years
  • thankfully

Thankfully, I'm deaf and remove my hearing when I'm on all day job.. don't want any noise or music to distract my train of thoughts.
This discussion has been closed.