Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Professional opinions needed

Options
Cms6
Cms6 Member Posts: 1
I have a Trane Xv90 gas furnace that is 10 years old. I have never had a problem with it.  During a routine inspection, the secondary heat exchanger was found to be leaking with evidence of rust and water.

The question is do I just replace the part or get a brand new furnace?  I've been told both options. 

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 952
    Options
    Warranty

The heat exchanger would be under warranty. You'd have labor to pay but that would be 1/3 or 1/4 the price of a new high end furnace.

Are they sure it is the secondary header leaking? The transition between the secondary and the inducer likes to crack. They are cheap and easy to replace if necessary.
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    Options
    heat exchanger

Even if the heat exchange needs to be replaced it is only a maximum of 4 hours if they know what they are doing. And that 4 hours includes part pick up and return and warranty paperwork.

I know for a fact as I have done them many times. In fact I have to do one on a NEW trane tomorrow that they didn't put enough sealant on the front cover of the collector box. ( it is leaking water down the inside of the blower) I had to do two of them last spring for the same reason. Both were new furnaces and the houses were side by side. ( what are the chances of that happening )
This discussion has been closed.